December 10, 2008

Thanksgiving and Loads of Help


So Ruth was born the week before Thanksgiving, what a thing to be thankful for! My mom and dad were also arriving right before Thanksgiving. My mom was tons of help with figuring out breastfeeding and bathing babies and especially with a baby who is a night owl!
Thanksgiving was fun because I hadn't spent it with my parents for the last 5 years since I've been at school. Mom and Brad split the cooking duties and made us a delicious meal. (The trick to cooking a great turkey is brining it the night before then cooking it breast side down so the juices run to the white meat...this helps the white meat stay moist and not dry out!) That night Brad and I tried to be sneaky...while everyone else was in bed we ran to Smith's to buy a Christmas tree. We were going to surprise everyone with a beautifully decorated tree the next morning. We were disappointed to find out that Smith's is only open between 9 and 6 on Thanksgiving. So Brad had to go get our tree on Friday. Not as fun, but still very beautiful.
Before my parents left, and as soon as Brad's parents got into town we blessed Ruth. Luckily we have a great bishop who was willing to come to our apartment on Friday night so we could bless her while both sets of parents were here. It was a wonderful experience and Ruth looked gorgeous in the dress my mom made for her. I've included two pictures of Ruth doing her favorite thing. One is with my mom, the other is with my dad.
Once my parents left Paula, Brad's mom, stayed to continue with the baby/house help. We had a lot of fun, especially watching the original version of the Bishop's Wife. It was so nice to not have to worry about cooking or cleaning for two whole weeks, thanks mom and Paula!
We also had lots of visitors from Asa's side of the family. Here's a picture of Brad, Ruth, and Grandma Laws.

No comments: