April 24, 2016

Ruth and School

 Ruth has really enjoyed projects recently. For a couple weeks she was in a kite building phase, then it was a learning to roller-blade phase, then a short tinkering phase and most recently she's been working on an "Under the Sea" book that she's typing and illustrating. She's also mastered multiplication for numbers zero through five and ten. The other day Will was counting how many legs are in our family and he miscounted and said there were 9 legs. Ruth was super happy to tell him that 5 x 2 is 10 because there are five people and we all have two legs. She's also been working on money and adding with money and decimals. She still reads like a champion and has blasted through several books, most recently she finished "Ella Enchanted," so we could watch the movie. She has thoroughly enjoyed going to her weekly science class so she can chat and make friends (she was ecstatic last week because another girl asked her to stay after class and play at the playground, which of course we did). She has also been showing tons of interest in cooking and baking and made several batches of cookies completely on her own. She also has been practising chopping and dicing vegetables. Ruth has also really been embracing her big sister roll, which is something I've really tried hard to work on with her (she tends to be more bossy than nurturing...wonder where that came from?). She also loves playing games and making perler bead designs to show off to her friends at church.













 Ruth had the great idea to make a teapot out of an old water gallon and a water bottle. We used the hot glue gun to make the spout...and then we just had to have a dress-up tea party! We just had a MAAAAHVELOUS time!

2 comments:

Carin said...

OK Katie!! I think I am all caught up now :-) I have to tell you, I laughed so hard at Brad's tortilla post.....seriously! I don't have any idea where my tortillas come from, but you can bet I will look. But I'll probably still buy the same kind ;-) you can tell Brad!

And Oh My Goodness!! One of those pictures of Ruth, I thought, Oh My! There she is, teen-aged Ruth. She looked so grown up! I miss you more than you know!!

Just today, Ryan said, "Hey, can we go and play at Ruth's house?" And I had to tell him that Ruth had moved away from Eureka. Then he said, "You mean someone else moved into her house in Eureka?" "Yep." He was not happy.

Love you all!! You and the family look great and sooooo happy!!! Yea!!

Stephanie Dirks said...

Ruth has seriously grown up so much in the last year. She doesn't look like a little girl anymore. She looks like she is a young woman. I don't know why it surprises me so much to see her grown. It's like a measure stick with age/height kept on it. Each day you don't notice the growth, but look back in 6 months and you'll see a difference for sure! I haven't seen her for many, many months, and now that I see her, she is grown so much. It's just one more reminder that you don't live close enough for me to see the daily growth:) Miss ya!!