February 15, 2010

Sleep and other news

Our stupid bed is so stinking hard that I can no longer sleep on it due to pregnancy because I am suppose to sleep on my side which requires me to turn over every couple hours because the stupid bed creates horrible pressure points on my hips and makes my arms fall asleep (thus the necessity to wake up and turn over) which said turning causes shooting pains in my abdomen. So I've been sleeping on our couch, which is wonderfully squishy. Now I only wake up once or twice a night to readjust (and pee) which is a huge improvement over every other hour. The only down side is that I HATE going to bed in the living room, by myself, without being able to chat with my husband. In other words I want a new bed! EDIT: I was re-reading this post and realized how freaking lucky I am that I have another option to sleep on that is better than the bed we have. Hello! I could be sleeping on a mat on the floor, or not even have a roof over my head like I'm sure some pregnant woman in Haiti is doing tonight! I am so thankful for the things I have!

In other news Ruth loves to play with her crayons and is obsessed with bubbles. She asks for them a million times a day. Then when I blow them she makes a blowing sound too, it's way cute.


I went to the doctor again today. I hate this part of pregnancy where I start gaining weight. Even though I keep telling myself that you're suppose to gain weight it's still such a strange mental struggle to go to the doctor every month and hear you're 5 pounds heavier! Baby boy...we have decided to wait on the official name pick because we're no longer certain that "William" is the right name for our guy...is now about 2 pounds and over a foot long and kicking a ton. I have noticed that he's a little shy though; when I would poke and prod Ruth she would always kick back, but this little guy stops all movement if I poke him back! Also, we have just 3 months left and I'm one week away from the 3rd trimester, hooray!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

You are looking great and Ruth is getting soo big! A body pillow saved me when I got too big and our bed was too hard. For some reason it never occurred to me sleep on the couch.. would have been closer to the bathroom

kami said...

you look great! i know - it is so hard to gain weight during pregnancy. it shouldn't be, but it is.

i meant to respond to your comment on my birth blog but time got away from me.

i know what you mean about feeling judged from both sides - the "hospital/epidural" side and the "natural/homebirth" side. the best thing i can suggest, is do what you believe in because you believe in it, not because that is what everyone else does.

believe me, it was VERY hard for me to choose a homebirth. in the end, it felt right to me and i knew that was where i should give birth. through my research, i came to realize that homebirth is quite safe and a lot of the complications that happen during labor/delivery are caused by the interventions that happen only in hospitals (such as inductions, pitocin, epidurals, continuous fetal monitoring, etc). because i gained knowledge about what i was doing, i felt very comfortable with it. i didn't have fears which made it much more bearable and comfortable.

whether you give birth at home or in a hospital, it really doesn't matter. you should definitely birth where you feel comfortable. but, i would recommend doing research and taking charge of your labor/delivery because it is up to you how it goes. the way i feel after gaining the knowledge i have gained through researching childbirth is that when you leave the birth up to your health care provider, you may not end up with the outcome you'd love to have. that doesn't mean that i don't trust doctors or midwives, but i believe that by being an advocate for yourself and for what interventions you want and don't want, you will have the best, safest birth you can have (and it sounds like you can advocate...which is important...to not let them tell you what to do because you know your body!).

anyways i don't know if this comment makes sense and it might be scatter-brained but i hope that it helps. researching childbirth gave me a lot of confidence in everything from my ability to give birth to my feeling safe giving birth at home. so prepare, prepare, prepare and you will have no need to fear!

if you desire a natural birth AT ALL, i would recommend researching it and preparing for it. you don't necessarily need classes (i didn't take a class), just lots of knowledge and good support - AND determination and confidence. it is not something you can decide once you're at the hospital in labor (i have experience with that...it's called max's birth! i ended up getting an epidural because i had not made my final choice to go natural - i was indecisive and when it comes down to that pain and you're not prepared, you choose the easy way). but, if you do decide to have a natural birth, i will tell you that it will be an incredibly empowering, transformative experience.

either way, do what you do with confidence and with knowledge! let me know if you want to talk more!

nison (nic + allison) said...

You look adorable! :)

Steve Lents said...

Wellllll! how cute are you guys. I love the shot with Ruth in sunglasses. Can't wait to hug the newbie.

Pops