June 24, 2008

Baby Ruth

After my "Flight-o-Puke" on June 17th, Brad and I had a very busy day planned. My plane landed in SLC at 9:30 so we had to grab my bag and hurry back to Provo so we could go to my Dr.'s appointment which was at 11:30. This is the appointment that I've been waiting for because it is the 20 week appointment where you get an ultrasound done and they hopefully tell you what gender your baby is! We arrived in Provo around 11 and went straight to the office hoping that they would just let us right in. We ended up sitting around for a few minutes but it was fine. We went in and the ultrasound started and the sonographer said, "Are you sure you are 5 months?" I said I thought so, but wasn't positive. She double checked dates and said, "You're suppose to be 21 weeks but the baby is small." This made me nervous and the pause that followed this seemed to last forever. Then she said that she would just re-do the dates and make measurements to ensure she was right. She measured the femur and said from that measurement there was no way this baby was 21 weeks. She said I was only 17 weeks along which meant my due date is now November 20th. Both Brad's and my immediate reaction was relief and acceptance. Having a later due date means that I will finish my student teaching by Halloween and then have 3 weeks to relax and prepare for the arrival of the baby! I also won't have to worry about going into labor while up in Jordan and then trying to get back to Provo in time to get to a hospital. The sonographer said she was really surprised that we were happy about a later due date, that most mom's are totally bummed that they have longer to go than expected. After she said that I was a little bummed because it means I am no longer half way through this, but in the end it's only 3 more weeks and those three weeks are truly a blessing. Then the sonographer asked if we wanted to know the gender (of course) so she would try to find out even though it was a little early to tell for sure. She explained to us everything she saw and said it's a girl. Then she suggested that if I wanted to go baby shopping to keep the receipts so we could return stuff if we found otherwise in a month when I come back for my real 5 month ultrasound. So, in essence, a trained professional said her best educated guess was that we're having a girl. We've decided that, if indeed it is a girl, her name will be Ruth. We haven't decided on a middle name quite yet, but we're very excited for Baby Ruth to come! This picture is of her head, on the far left, and her ribs in the very middle, and then her forearm and hand above the ribs like she's sucking on her thumb. (The clear white parts are bones!) The sonographer also told us that the baby is now the size of 2 sticks of butter. So forget the whole turnip image for 18 week mark...a professional told me it was two sticks of butter, not a turnip!

No comments: